Gregynog Hall is surrounded by 750 acres of grounds containing many different landscapes, including its renowned Grade 1 listed formal gardens. The Gardener’s Chronicle of 1912 described the gardens as ‘highly artistic and in complete harmony with the natural surroundings’ while CADW added ‘one of the most important parks and gardens in Powys, dating from at least 1500’s. In fact, the earliest record of a garden design for Gregynog was from a plan drawn up by landscape designer William Emmes, who worked in the manner of Capability Brown.
Within our formal gardens, early concrete fountains and bridges are surrounded by a mass of rhododendrons and azaleas, while natural beech woodlands rise above ‘The Dingle’ and the water gardens of ‘The Dell’ to display fantastic water-marginal plants.
Woodlands have always been an important element of the Gregynog estate and grounds, with some of the oaks in the Great Wood to the north of the Hall dating back 300 years. The entire Great Wood has, in fact, now been designated as a Site of Special Scientific interest.
Each season, the gardens promise to deliver, but particularly in the spring when there is a profusion of flowers from our daffodil bulbs, the summer roses which never fails to impress and the glorious autumnal colours of fantastic specimen trees.
In order to support the upkeep of the formal gardens at Gregynog, visitors will be charged £3 for admission to the formal gardens, in addition to the £2.50 charge per car for the estate walks which are explored later separately in this section. Annual membership which offers unlimited access to the gardens and walks, costs £15 per individual and £25 for a family. If you want to find out more details, please feel free to contact us on 01686 650224.
One of the most important parks and gardens in Powys, dating from at least 1500s.